Tomb of Lady Montacute
Tomb of Lady Elizabeth Montacute (d.1354), who sponsored the construction of the chapel in which she lies and also donated the land that is now Christ Church Meadow. Her tomb is topped with her effigy, which rests on cushions held by two angels and has a dog at her feet. The sides of the tomb are carved with portraits of her ten children; one of these is Bishop Simon of Ely (1337-Â45). The short ends of the tomb have quatrefoils with the Virgin and Child, Mary Magdalene (or maybe Frideswide) and the Four Evangelists. All the figures lost their faces at the Reformation. An adjacent ceiling vault, below which the tomb was originally placed, bears traces of painted angel wings. Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, England.