Shrine of St. Frideswide (1289)
The Shrine of St. Frideswide in the Latin Chapel north of the chancel. Built in 1289, the shrine contained the holy relics of Frideswide and was visited by countless medieval pilgrims. The arches along the top are decorated with faces peeping out from behind foliage and more faces decorate the base. The shrine was destroyed in 1538 during the Reformation. Fragments were discovered in the college in the 1870s and more were uncovered in the cloister in 1985. The shrine was fully reconstructed as accurately as possible beginning in 2002, an effort that earned an Oxford Preservation Trust award in 2005. Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, England.