Baroque High Altar (1679)
Baroque high altar in the choir, against a backdrop of medieval stained glass, inscribed with the date 1679. The figures on the altar represent the Four Evangelists, Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Boniface of Mainz and St. Martin. The painting of the Crucifixion on the lower level dates from the mid-18th century and is one of a series of four made by Jacob Samuel Beck and Tobias Jacob Hildebrand; they are rotated throughout the liturgical year. The upper painting of the Madonna of the Protecting Cloak is by Robert Sandrock (1950). Erfurt Cathedral, Thuringia, Germany.
Credit: David Joyal