North side of the Late Gothic exterior (completed 1509). The two main entrances are on this side of the church, including the famous doors on which Luther posted his theses, shown here. Back in Luther's day, there was a moat on this side of the church and the portals had to be approached by footbridges over the water. Sadly, the original wooden doors to which Luther posted his theses were destroyed in a 1760 fire. But to commemorate the 375th anniversary of Luther's birth in 1858, they were replaced with bronze doors that bear the Latin text of the 95 Theses. The painting in the tympanum was added at the same time. It depicts Luther and Melancthon kneeling before a Crucifixion against the backdrop of Wittenberg, with Luther holding his German Bible and Melancthon the Augsburg Confession. Above the door are statues of Fredrick the Wise and John the Steadfast.