The Tomb of St. Francis
Crypt with the tomb of St Francis of Assisi, 1230. The tomb was initially hidden by the saint's followers to prevent theft of his relics. After it was rediscovered in 1818, a crypt was carved out of the rock to allow visitors access. In the center of the crypt, rising like a thick tower to the High Altar above, is the venerated stone tomb of St. Francis. Facing the tomb are the graves of four disciples of Francis - Fra Leone, Fra Masseo, Fra Rufino and Fra Angelo - who had previously been buried in the lower church.
Credit: David Joyal