In the upper section Archbishop Ariberto, with John the Baptist and the Virgin Mary, presents the Gospel book to Christ in the upper half. Below are the saints Ambrose, Protasio and Gervaise. Latin inscriptions identify all these figures.
This is the second panel of the "Pax of Ariberto," created around 1030 or 1040 and given to the Duomo by Archbishop Ariberto. It consists of two panels - the more elaborate one was used to decorate the box in which the cathedral's Gospel book was kept, while the other covered the Gospel book itself. In the 12th century it became part of a "Pax," a panel with a handle that was presented during the ritual of the kiss of peace.