Pope Innocent III and His Bull
On the east wall of the Lower Church is a large "parchment" with the Latin text of the bull by which Pope Innocent III (d.1216) donated revenues to the monastery in 1203. The parchment is held up by St. Benedict and Abbot Romanus (d.1216) on the left and Pope Innocent III on the right. Above the parchment is a larger portrait (shown here) of Pope Innocent III, which was painted later in the 13th century by Master Conxolus, of the Roman school.
Credit: Holly Hayes