photo 2 of 22
Previous | Next
the Ben Youssef Medersa: Arabic Inscription

Arabic Inscription

Arabic inscription within a medallion on a wall of the Ben Youssef Medersa in Marrakesh. Originally founded in the 14th century, the medersa was rebuilt by the Saadian Sultan Abdallah al-Ghalib in 1565. Beautifully decorated with Islamic designs and calligraphy, it is the largest madrassa (religious school) in Morocco.