photo 11 of 22
the Ben Youssef Medersa: Cedar and Stucco

Cedar and Stucco

Stucco and carved cedar of the west wall overlooking the central courtyard. Originally founded in the 14th century, the Ben Youssef Medersa was rebuilt by the Saadian Sultan Abdallah al-Ghalib in 1565. Beautifully decorated with Islamic designs and calligraphy, it is the largest madrassa (religious school) in Morocco.