photo 14 of 22
the Ben Youssef Medersa: Calligraphy and Mosaic Detail

Calligraphy and Mosaic Detail

Carved stucco, Arabic calligraphy and mosaic tile decorates the wall around the central courtyard. Originally founded in the 14th century, the Ben Youssef Medersa was rebuilt by the Saadian Sultan Abdallah al-Ghalib in 1565. Beautifully decorated with Islamic designs and calligraphy, it is the largest madrassa (religious school) in Morocco.