Rome, the "Eternal City," has been a sacred place and internationally important city since ancient times. Rome's history extends nearly 2,800 years, during which time it has been the seat of the Roman Kingdom, the Roman Republic, the Roman Empire, the Papal States, the Kingdom of Italy and the Italian Republic. The first known temple in Rome was built around 575 BC. A Jewish community was established in Rome in 161 BC and remains active today. Christians arrived in the 1st century AD, and Rome has been the center of Catholic Christianity ever since. Rome's abundance of ancient temples, synagogues, churches and shrines make it one of the best cities to explore the holy places of a variety of religious traditions.
- Rome Map Our detailed, interactive city map of Rome, showing the location of sacred sites and religious attractions.
- Rome Photos Our galleries of hand-selected photos of religious sites in Rome.
- Rome Books Selected travel guides and other books on Rome.
- Rome Sightseeing Tours Save money and time by booking sightseeing tours and excursions in Rome before you leave home.
- Rome Hotels Search availability, read reviews, browse photos, view a map and book a room in Rome at the guaranteed lowest price.