"Holy Toledo" isn't just an expression! This historic city in central Spain is positively packed with religious sites. A unique and richly diverse city, Toledo features Arab, Jewish, Christian, and even Roman and Visigothic elements. Toledo is located in the Castille region of central Spain, 42 miles southwest of Madrid and 85 miles southeast of Avila. It has a population of about 75,000 and is a very popular tourist destination, especially as a day trip from Madrid.
A beloved national landmark, the Toledo that so inspired El Greco in the 16th century has remained relatively unchanged since his time. Old churches and houses fill the city, where you can still stroll through streets barely wide enough for a man and his donkey, let alone an automobile. Explore the magnificent and varied religious sights of Toledo by following a link below.
- Toledo Map Our detailed, interactive city map of Toledo, showing the location of sacred sites and religious attractions.
- Toledo Photos Our galleries of hand-selected photos of religious sites in Toledo.
- Toledo Books Selected travel guides and other books on Toledo.
- Toledo Sightseeing Tours Save money and time by booking sightseeing tours and excursions in Toledo before you leave home.
- Toledo Hotels Search availability, read reviews, browse photos, view a map and book a room in Toledo at the guaranteed lowest price.