Istanbul is the largest city in Turkey, with a population of almost 14 million people. The overused phrase "East meets West" really applies in Istanbul, where the continents of Europe and Asia come together and miniskirts coexist with head scarves.
Istanbul has a myriad of attractions for visitors, particularly those interested in history and religion. Previously known as Byzantium and then Constantinople, the ancient city is a layering of civilization on civilization, empire on empire. As a major religious center for both the Greek Orthodox Church and the Islamic faith, Istanbul is the custodian of one of the world's most important cultural heritages and home to some of the world's most opulent displays of art and wealth, most of which were built in the name of faith.
- Istanbul Map Our detailed, interactive city map of Istanbul, showing the location of sacred sites and religious attractions.
- Istanbul Photos Our galleries of hand-selected photos of religious sites in Istanbul.
- Istanbul Books Selected travel guides and other books on Istanbul.
- Istanbul Sightseeing Tours Save money and time by booking sightseeing tours and excursions in Istanbul before you leave home.
- Istanbul Hotels Search availability, read reviews, browse photos, view a map and book a room in Istanbul at the guaranteed lowest price.