"All Salzburg is a stage.
Its beauty, its tradition, its history... its round of music...
all combine to lift you out of everyday life,
to make you forget that somewhere far off, life hides another,
drearier, harder, and more unpleasant reality."
-- Count Ferdinand Czernin, This Salzburg, 1937
Occupying both sides of the Salzach River between two mountains (Kapuzinerberg and Mönchsberg), Salzburg is a beautiful city and popular tourist destination in western Austria. Salzburg welcomes more than 8 million visitors a year, many of whom come to see the world-famous Salzburger Festspiele (Salzburg Festival) featuring performances of Mozart by some of the world's greatest musicians.
Salzburg is overflowing with beautiful and historic buildings - including many important churches, profiled in this section - but many visitors to Salzburg also come to see the sites (and festival) associated with Mozart, who was born here in 1756, and the locations featured in the movie The Sound of Music, which was filmed here in 1964.
Salzburg was settled by the Romans, who called it Juvavum, and a monastery was established here around 700 AD, but the city as we know it today began with the powerful Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich in the late 16th century. So powerful were the Archbishops of Salzburg at that time - and so splendid was their gleaming Baroque city - that Salzburg was dubbed the "German Rome." Formerly a part of the Holy Roman Empire, the Salzburg area became part of Austria after the Congress of Vienna in 1816.
- Salzburg Map Our detailed, interactive city map of Salzburg, showing the location of sacred sites and religious attractions.
- Salzburg Photos Our galleries of hand-selected photos of religious sites in Salzburg.
- Salzburg Books Selected travel guides and other books on Salzburg.
- Salzburg Sightseeing Tours Save money and time by booking sightseeing tours and excursions in Salzburg before you leave home.
- Salzburg Hotels Search availability, read reviews, browse photos, view a map and book a room in Salzburg at the guaranteed lowest price.