Cathedral Rock is one of four rock formations in Sedona believed by New Age adherents to contain a power vortex. The most-photographed formation in the area, Cathedral Rock is believed to contain feminine or magnetic energy, which encourages relaxation. The energy has been reported strongest where Oak Creek is closest to Cathedral Rock.
The most popular photo of the formation shows the waters of Oak Creek with Cathedral Rock in the background. This gorgeous view can be had by driving south of Ariz. 89A and a bit west of the turnoff for Boynton Canyon to Upper Red Rock Loop Road, which leads to Crescent Moon Recreation Area. Hiking trails lead up to Cathedral Rock from Crescent Moon.
Quick Facts on Cathedral Rock
|Visitor and Contact Information|
|Coordinates:||34.818549° N, 111.792884° W|
|Lodging:||View hotels near Cathedral Rock|
- Frommer's Arizona
- Sedona's Energy Vortexes - Love Sedona
- Sedona Vortex Map (PDF)
- Reviews of Bell Rock – TripAdvisor
- Reviews of Boynton Canyon - TripAdvisor
- Sedona exerts a strong pull on seekers of many sorts – Minneapolis Star Tribune, 2002
- Vortex Experience in Sedona - Sedona New Age Center
- Photos of Cathedral Rock - here on Sacred Destinations
Map of Cathedral Rock, Sedona
Below is a location map and aerial view of Cathedral Rock. Using the buttons on the left (or the wheel on your mouse), you can zoom in for a closer look, or zoom out to get your bearings. To move around, click and drag the map with your mouse.