Base of the once-glorious shrine of St. David, built in 1275 to hold the monk's relics. It was once surmounted by an ornamental wooden canopy. Murals of St. David, St. Patrick, and St. Denis filled the arches. The shrine stands in its original position, but its relics and treasures were confiscated during the Reformation. The relics are now believed to rest in an oak reliquary in the Holy Trinity Chapel. St Davids, Wales.