Melk Abbey

Melk Abbey (German: Stift Melk) was originally a palace, and it shows. Located on the bank of the Danube River between Salzburg and Vienna, Melk Abbey stands crowned by towers and resplendent in a golden hue.

The impressive Baroque ensemble at Melk was built in 1702-1736 by architect Jakob Prandtauer. Especially noteworthy is the church with magnificent frescoes by Johann Michael Rottmayr and the library containing countless medieval manuscripts.

The monastic community of Melk is over 900 years old and black-robed Benedictine monks still stroll amidst the marble sculptures and frescoed walls. It is now also a prestigious coed monastery school with more than 700 students.


History of Melk Abbey

Melk has played an important role in the Danube region since Roman times, when a fortress was built on the promontory overlooking a tiny "arm" of the Danube. Melk also appears in the German epic poem Nibelungenlied, in which it is called "Medelike". The rock-strewn bluff where the abbey now stands was the seat of the Babenbergs, who ruled Austria from 976 until the Hapsburgs took over.

In the 11th century, Leopold II of Babenberg presented the palace at Melk to Benedictine monks, who turned it into a fortified abbey. Its influence and reputation as a center of learning and culture spread throughout Austria, as reflected in Umberto Eco's popular novel The Name of the Rose. Eco researched his novel in the abbey's library.

Melk Abbey suffered damaged during the Reformation and the 1683 Turkish invasion, but it was spared direct attack when the Ottoman armies were halted outside Vienna. Reconstruction of the abbey began in 1702 in full Baroque style and was completed in 1736. The abbey church was damaged by fire in 1947, but is now almost completely restored.

What to See at Melk Abbey

The design of the present abbey ensemble (1702-36) is primarily the work of architect Jakob Prandtauer. The Marmorsaal (Marble Hall) contains pilasters coated in red marble and an allegorical painted ceiling by Paul Troger.

The library rises two floors and also has a Troger ceiling, along with around 80,000 volumes of priceless works. The Kaisergang (Emperors' Gallery) stretches for 198m (650 ft.), decorated with portraits of Austrian royalty.

The highlight of the abbey, though, is certainly the Stiftskirche (Abbey Church). The church has an astonishing number of windows and is richly embellished with marble and frescoes by Johann Michael Rottmayr with help from Troger.

There are fine views of the river from the abbey's terrace, which Napoleon probably used as a lookout when he used Melk as his headquarters for his campaign against Austria.

The abbey restaurant (Stiftsrestaurant Melk) located near the entrance serves hot meals and monastery wine in beautiful Baroque and outdoor surroundings.

Quick Facts on Melk Abbey

Site Information
Names:Melk Abbey
Styles:Baroque style
Status: active
Visitor and Contact Information
Coordinates:48.228790° N, 15.331163° E
Address:Abt Berthold Dietmayrstraße, 1 A
Melk, Austria
Phone:+43 (0) 2752 555225
Email:[email protected]
Hours:May-Sep: 9am-5:30pm (last admission 5pm)

Apr, Oct: 9am-4:30pm (last admission 4pm)

Nov-Mar: only open on guided tours
Lodging:View hotels near Melk Abbey
Note: This information was accurate when first published and we do our best to keep it updated, but details such as opening hours and prices can change without notice. To avoid disappointment, please check with the site directly before making a special trip.


  1. Frommer's Austria, 12th ed.
  2. Stift Melk - Official website of Melk Abbey (German and English)
  3. 900th Anniversary of the Founding of Melk Abbey - Chronicles the abbey's history
  4. Abbey and Congregation of Melk - Catholic Encyclopedia

More Information

Gesamtanlage Stift Melk © Arcomonte26
© JohnnyVA
© Douglas Sprott
© Martin Hapl
Facade of the church at Melk Abbey, Melk, Austria © Larry Myhre
© Ray Pennisi
© Douglas Sprott
© Ray Pennisi
© Douglas Sprott

Map of Melk Abbey

Below is a location map and aerial view of Melk Abbey. Using the buttons on the left (or the wheel on your mouse), you can zoom in for a closer look, or zoom out to get your bearings. To move around, click and drag the map with your mouse.