photo 67 of 72
Tewkesbury Abbey: Beauchamp Chapel from North Ambulatory

Beauchamp Chapel from North Ambulatory

The Beauchamp Chapel (1422-38) from the north ambulatory. The chapel was built for Richard Beauchamp by his wife Isabelle de Despenser. Around the molding is a Latin inscription that translates to: "Remember the Lady Isabelle Dispenser, Countess of Warwick, who founded this chapel to honor St Mary Magdalen and died in the Minories in London, AD 1439, on St John the Evangelist's Day, and was buried in the choir on the right hand of her father. May God have pity on her soul. Amen." Related pages:

Credit: Holly Hayes