photo 46 of 148
Cluny Abbey: Parvis of the Abbey Church

Parvis of the Abbey Church

Visitors examine a map of the site of the former Cluny Abbey church (1088-1130), comparing it with the ruins. The semicircular area is the beginning of the parvis (an outdoor staircase), which led down to the facade of the huge antechurch or porch (1130-90).

Credit: Holly Hayes