View from the Parvis
Site of the former Cluny Abbey church (1088-1130), of which only the south transept survives, seen from the west. The area in the parvis (an outdoor staircase). This led down to the huge antechurch or porch (1130-90), in which the foundations of pillars can be seen. The sloped-roof stone buildings are the surviving bases of the great west towers, the Barabans. Against a landscape of Burgundian hills in the background is the south transept, topped with the beautiful Clocher de l'Eau-Bénite ("Holy Water Belfry").
Credit: Holly Hayes