photo 215 of 231
Tournus Abbey: Cloister Courtyard

Cloister Courtyard

Looking south across the 11th-century cloister, with the east gallery and chapter house on the left. Saint Ardain was buried in the cloister in 1056, but his relics were later moved inside the church. The central courtyard has the same layout it did in medieval times. The monastery buildings are mostly modern reconstructions.

Credit: Holly Hayes