Lower Exterior Tilework
This closeup photo of the lower exterior of the Dome of the Rock shows the magnificent tilework commissioned by Suleiman the Magnificent in 1545. The arched niches used to contain mosaics, but they turned out to be too delicate for the harsh winters and Suleiman finally resolved the problem by replacing them all with tile. The Arabic inscription is of verses from the Qur'an.
Credit: ForestForTrees / Flickr