photo 15 of 32
Santa Maria degli Angeli: The Porziuncola

The Porziuncola

Standing directly under the basilica's large dome, the Porziuncola ("little portion") is the original stone chapel restored and frequently used by St. Francis. Dating from the 9th century, the long-abandoned chapel was given to Francis by the Benedictines and became the early headquarters of the new Franciscan order, founded here in 1209.

Credit: Holly Hayes