Nave Looking East
Nave of San Giovanni Evangelista in Ravenna, looking east to the apse. The basilica was built c.426-30 by Galla Placidia in fulfillment of a vow. It was badly damaged by bombs in 1944 but rebuilt to its original Byzantine form. Most of the columns and capitals are original. The triumphal arch and apse were once covered with important mosaics depicting the family of Theodosius and Galla Placidia being saved from the storm at sea, but they were tragically removed in the 16th century.
Credit: Holly Hayes