Mosaic Fragment (c.705 AD): Adoration of the Magi
Fragment of an 8th century mosaic displayed in the sacristy of Santa Maria in Cosmedin. It was part of a huge mosaic commissioned by Pope John VII (705-07) for an oratory in St. Peter's Basilica. The full mosaic measured 9 meters long by 6 meters high and centered on a large portrait of the Virgin with the pope, surrounded by seven scenes from her life. This is part of one of the seven scenes, depicting the Adoration of the Magi. It was donated to the church in 1639.
Credit: Holly Hayes