photo 85 of 117
Fountains Abbey: West Front of Abbey Church

West Front of Abbey Church

West front of the abbey church, plain and unadorned in accordance with Cistercian architecture of the mid-12th century. In 1494, Abbot Darnton added the large Perpendicular window. Above is a nice for a statue of the Virgin Mary, to whom Cistercian abbeys were dedicated. (See next photo for closeup.)

Credit: Holly Hayes