West Side of South Transept
The best view in the house of the surviving south transept of Cluny Abbey (1088-1130), from the small Cour de la Congrégation on its west side. The church was so monumental that each transept had two towers - the beautiful octagonal one is called the Clocher de l'Eau-Bénite ("Holy Water Belfry"). On the left is the outer wall of a side aisle; on the right is the 18th-century Chapel of the Congregation, which replaced the Romanesque "Abbot's Chapel."
Credit: Holly Hayes