Golden Pulpit (1020)
The magnificent Golden Pulpit, commissioned by Emperor Heinrich II and completed in about 1020. It is covered in gold and studded with jewels and precious objects, including ancient and medieval bowls. The dishes are not the only unusual decorations: there are also six sensuous pagan ivory reliefs from Egypt, dating from the 6th century AD.
Credit: Holly Hayes