Barbarossa's Chandelier (1184)
Barbarossa's Chandelier hangs from the vault in the Palatine Chapel. It is a huge (4.2-meter diameter) bronze circlet commissioned by Frederick Barbarossa for the occasion of Charlemagne's canonization. It was created in 1165-84 in Aachen and is inscribed with a dedication to Mary from Barbarossa and his wife Beatrix. On special holy days the candles are lit, which must be quite a spectacular sight.
Credit: Holly Hayes