Originally intended to be coated in silver, this harmonious temple ended up in simple wood. It houses an image of Kannon and includes lovely gardens.
An important Rinzai Zen temple on the Path of Philosophy, Nanzenji has a beautiful Zen garden and extensive grounds.
A Shinto shrine dedicated to the souls of Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken, Meiji is surrounded by lush forests that are a haven of peace in the big city.
This gold-leaf-covered temple is one of the most beautiful sights in Kyoto, nestled in the woods and reflected in the waters of its garden pond.
Founded when Nara was the capital, Todaiji was the head temple of all provincial temples in Japan. It is home to the largest Buddha statue in Japan, which weighs 250 tons.
An important Shinto shrine complex in southern Honshu, dedicated primarily to the sun goddess, Amaterasu.
Great Buddha of Kamakura
This monumental outdoor bronze statue of Amida Buddha was cast in 1252. It sits serenely in the grounds of Kotokuin, a Pure Land Buddhist temple.
This hilltop temple with a view of the sea houses a huge gilded statue of the goddess Kannon. Outside are hundreds of Jizo statues, dedicated to the souls of unborn children.
Guided Tours of Japan
- Kyoto and Nara 2-Day or 3-Day Rail Tour by Bullet Train from Tokyo
- Panoramic Tokyo Day Tour - Meiji Shrine, Asakusa Temple and Tokyo Bay Cruise
- Kyoto and Nara Day Trip from Kyoto including Nijo Castle
- Nara Afternoon Tour of Todaiji Temple, Deer Park and Kasuga Shrine from Kyoto
- Kyoto and Nara Day Tour Including Golden Pavilion and Todai-ji Temple from Osaka
- view all Japan tours