Caen ("kehn") is a city of about 117,000 people (including 30,000 students) in the Lower Normandy region of France. It is located 238km (148 miles) northwest of Paris and 119km (74 miles) southeast of Cherbourg. In the mid-11th century, Caen became the preferred residence of William the Conquerer and Queen Matilda, and the beautiful twin abbeys they founded still remain, along with eight old churches. The survival of these landmarks is remarkable, given that three-quarters of the city - totalling 10,000 buildings - was destroyed during the 1944 invasion of Normandy. Thus today's Caen today is essentially modern, with broad avenues, new apartment buildings, and traffic congestion. A major rail and ferry junction, Caen makes a good base for exploring the region of Normandy.
- Caen Map Our detailed, interactive city map of Caen, showing the location of sacred sites and religious attractions.
- Caen Photos Our galleries of hand-selected photos of religious sites in Caen.
- Caen Books Selected travel guides and other books on Caen.
- Caen Hotels Search availability, read reviews, browse photos, view a map and book a room in Caen at the guaranteed lowest price.
Sacred Sites and Religious Attractions in Caen
Abbaye aux DamesThe Ladies' Abbey was founded by Queen Mathilda, the wife of William the Conqueror, in 1063. Its church, La Trinité, is a fine example of Romanesque architecture.
Abbaye aux HommesThe Men's Abbey was founded by William the Conquerer in the 11th century. Its church, the Romanesque Église St-Etienne, is the largest and most impressive church in Caen.
Caen MemorialEstablished in 1988 and dedicated to peace, the Caen Memorial is regarded as the best World War II museum in France. It also includes exhibits on other failures and triumphs of peace, such as 9/11.
St-Etienne-le-VieuxLocated next to the Abbaye aux Hommes are the handsome ruins of Old St-Etienne, a large church destroyed in World War II.
St-PierreSt. Peter's Church in Caen is a splendid example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. Built in the 13th and 14th centuries, it was expanded in the early 16th century.